Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Dulles South Chicken Wing Wars

Well, the jury's still out with respect to the best chicken wings in the Dulles South area of Loudoun County. The newest entrant, Wow Cafe and Wingery at South Riding's Market Plaza, opened a couple of weeks ago to our mixed reviews.

We ordered twice; same results both times (aside from the blue cheese - read below).

Positives:

1 - The chicken wings themselves were nice and big, lots of meat
2 - The selection of sauces was very good, per the menu, with coconut, cajun, tai and other great options
3 - The price was reasonable - a "sampler" of 5 different kinds for little more than $20.

Negatives:

4 - We ordered the "hottest" wings they had (Buffalo 3 - "off the chart") - these weren't hot by anybody's standards or off anybody's "chart", even by the most temperate, bland, Northern Virginia standards. We really like extra hot and spicy wings - we had to actually mix our own hot sauce at home (tabasco and butter) for dipping.

5 - Extras - our first order (confirmed by others), we got a paltry dipping cup with a dab of blue cheese (along with the celery); only enough for about 2 wings. We asked for more, and the Manager complied (for $1.50) with 2 dipping cups - but no celery. Must be growing pains.

6 - The wings were all very slightly under-cooked; not that they were pink or anything, but could've been a little hotter, a little crisper, a little more well-done for perfect chewing and dipping enjoyment.

On to the next!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chandana said...

This was the only place I have ever been in South Riding where I have encountered bad food, and the worst service possible. My husband and I visited on a weekend, I ordered buffalo shrimp which were not cooked all the way through. I took them to the manager, who told me they were fine. When I said I would prefer to get something different, and ordered two sides which were equalling less in value (together) than the shrimp, the manager proceeded to practically yell at me that he would only give me one item for free but not two. Had he politely stated he could not give me anything for free in exchange this would have been fine; however, his entire attitude towards me was awful. My husband then asked that we get our money back (we hadn't even gotten our food yet), and he started slamming things on the counter and was aboslutely unprofessional. I recommend whoever is in charge put this person through customer service and management 101. I guess he also needs to learn that bad news travels fast.

June 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger *rachel* said...

Really? I have been there a couple of times and i absolutely love the place! My kids enjoy watching cartoons while they munch on their chicken strips. I have not had the buffalo shrimp but the wings were very tasty with the honey barbecue sauce on them. The first time i visited the lady that took my order was very kind and helped me with any questions i had regarding the different types of sauces and even let me taste some before i ordered any. She even gave out beaded necklaces to my two daughters. I'm really surprised to hear that the manager acted that way!

July 25, 2008 at 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home